In the UK, due to high standards of Animal Welfare, farmers raise their animals in the natural environment where the animals have right to their Five Freedoms (FWAC).
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain– Injury or Disease – by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Once the animals reach their slaughter age they are transported to markets for sale and from there to the abattoir. Lairage is the place at the abattoir where the animals are rested after transport and before slaughter. Transportation itself is stressful to the animals. However offloading and movement of animals through the lairage is a difficult process that should not be underestimated. At the lairage the animals come in close contact with humans and are kept in unnatural conditions. It can have Serious implications on the final Meat Quality and therefore requires knowledgeable and diligent stockmanship. Animal welfare is often neglected at the lairage because it is the mindset of the stockman that the animal is soon going to die.
Assure-IP has introduced a unique certification programme, Lairage Assure-IP, under which Animals? Welfare and lairage facilities are assessed and audited. This program ensures that the animals have been given their Five Freedoms even during last yet crucial stage of life. In addition we will also provide solutions to lairage problems with a scientific approach and as per the recommendations of DEFRA, FSA and Animal Welfare scientists.
An abattoir whose lairage is certified under Lairage Assure-IP can claim to the consumers that Animal Welfare has not been compromised during handling and storage.
For more details please contact us…